When you want a nice, nutritious rice dish but you don’t want the heaviness that rice gives, using rice flakes is a good alternative. Once you have the soaked and drained rice flakes, you can use it just like rice in just about everything. Given here is a simple meal thats easy to make and satisfying. Enjoy!
- Rice Flakes (Aval / Poha) – 2 Cups
- Peas – 1/3 Cup
- Fresh / Frozen Corn – 1/3 Cup
- Channa Dhaall / Urad Dhaal for Seasoning (Optional)
- Mustard seeds
- Salt to taste
- Crushed Red pepper flakes
Putting it together
- Pour cold water over the rice flakes until the Rice Flakes are covered
- Squeeze the Rice flakes in the water three or four times. Do not overdo it, because then the pilaf will become soggy. if you dont squeeze enough, the flakes may not be cooked
- Drain the water immediately and keep it aside
- In a pan, put down some oil. Add the mustard seeds and let it sputter. Then add the dhaall, red pepper flakes, peas, corn and salt
- Stir fry until the peas and corn are cooked. Turn the stove all the way to low and add the rice flakes in to the pan.
- Leave it aside in the pan to warm and the bottom to crisp up lightly
- Remove and serve with some good ol’ fashioned sambhar / Soup / Salad or as itself