Another inspiration from Apple picking, was to make apple thokku from tart green apples. I wouldn’t say that this is the first of its kind idea, but it was unique to taste. If I ever gave that pickle to you , you wouldn’t guess there was apple in it. My mom-in-law was so excited to try this out. So here goes her recipe! Enjoy!
- 3 Big tart apples
- Turmeric powder – 1 tbsp
- Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
- Fenugreek seeds – 1 tsp
- Oil – 5 tbsp
- Chilli Powder – 3 tbsp (or according to spice level)
Putting it Together
- Cut the apples in to small bits (I feel that if you grate it, it would give out juices, but whatever floats your boat)
- In a large pan, put down the oil and heat in a medium flame
- Add the mustard seeds and let it sputter. Once done, add the fenugreek seeds
- The add the cut apples in to the pan, add the turmeric powder and saute until the absorbed oil comes out of the apples. Take care not to burn the apples
- Add the salt and chilli powder and saute until it is absorbed fully
- Remove from fire, cool it down and then store it in an air tight container in the fridge
Note : Feel free to experiment with different types of spices in this pickle. Turmeric is the preservative here which prevents the pickle from spoiling. The rest is up to your imagination.